What is Essential Fatty Acid, and why is it important?
Date:2020-10-21Category:Essential Fatty AcidsView:748Comments:0
What is essential fatty acid ?
What is essential fatty acid? Essential fatty acids, also known as EFAs, are those very important fatty acids that human and animals must obtain from diets or supplements because the body requires them for good health but cannot synthesize them by its own.
The term “essential fatty acid” refers to the fatty acids required for biological processes but does not include those fatty acids that only act as fuel. Essential fatty acids should not be confused with essential oils, which are “essential” in the sense of being a concentrated essence.
Actually, only two fatty acids are known to be essential for humans: alpha-linolenic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid) and linoleic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid). Some other fatty acids are sometimes classified as “conditionally essential”, meaning that human body can make it but only a little and not enough for body requirement, they can become essential under some developmental or disease conditions; These include docosahexaenoic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid), Eicosapentaenoic Acid, and gamma-linolenic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid).
Essential Fatty Acids Functions
According to the knowledge, In the body, essential fatty acids serve multiple functions. In each of these, the balance between dietary ω-3 and ω-6 strongly affects function.
1. The essential fatty acids are modified to make:
>the classic eicosanoids (affecting inflammation and many other cellular functions)
>the endocannabinoids (affecting mood, behavior and inflammation)
>the lipoxins which are a group of eicosanoid derivatives formed via the lipoxygenase pathway from ω-6 EFAs and resolvins from ω-3 (in the presence of acetylsalicylic acid, downregulating inflammation)
>the isofurans, neurofurans, isoprostanes, hepoxilins, epoxyeicosatrienoic acids (EETs) and Neuroprotectin D
2. The essential fatty acids form lipid rafts (affecting cellular signaling)
3. The essential fatty acids act on DNA (activating or inhibiting transcription factors such as NF-κB, which is linked to pro-inflammatory cytokine production)
Almost all the polyunsaturated fats in the human diet are EFAs. Essential fatty acids play an important role in the life and death of cardiac cells.
Tags:Essential Fatty Acid
Can Bioactive Fatty Acids Inactivate Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Omega-3 Fatty Acids help anti-aging
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids help fighting novel coronavirus (COVID‐19 or 2019‐CoV)
Omega-3 Fatty Acids can strengthen immune system
Essential Fatty Acids of Omega-3 help hair growth
What does deficiency of essential fatty acids lead to?
Essential Fatty Acid is good for resistance to novel coronavirusis
Best vegetarian essential fatty acid supplement
- Essential Fatty Acids*List
- 1Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids help fighting novel coronavirus (COVID‐19 or 2019‐CoV)
- 2Essential Fatty Acids of Omega-3 help hair growth
- 3Omega-3 Fatty Acids help anti-aging
- 4Omega-3 Fatty Acids can strengthen immune system
- 5What does deficiency of essential fatty acids lead to?
- 6Essential Fatty Acid is good for resistance to novel coronavirusis
- 7What is Essential Fatty Acid, and why is it important?
- 88 Benefits of Sea Buckthorn Oil and What is Sea buckthorn oil
- 9Best vegetarian essential fatty acid supplement
- What's New
- Algae Docosahexaenoic acid Powder,Algal Docosahexaenoic acid Powder,CAS::6217-54-5
- Algae docosahexaenoic acid oil,Algal docosahexaenoic acid oil,CAS:6217-54-5
- What is docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) ? docosahexaenoic acid definition
- Algae DHA Docosahexaenoic Acid Soft Capsules
- Omega-3 Marine algae oil with essential fatty acids
- Microalgae oil as a vegetarian source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid
- Microalgae DHA oil supplier: RISHON
- Rishon Candy with docosahexaenoic acid DHA
- Huawei launches Harmony operating system on smartphones in challenge to Google Android
- Brazil fears third Covid wave as Bolsonaro faces inquiry over pandemic response
- Tags List
- Essential Fatty Acid (1)
- Sea Buckthorn Oil (1)
- omega-3 fatty acid (1)
- camelina oil (1)
- Novel Coronavirus (1)
- Algae Docosahexaenoic acid Powder (2)
- 6217-54-5 (3)
- Algae docosahexaenoic acid oil (2)
- Algal docosahexaenoic acid oil (2)
- docosahexaenoic acid definition (2)
- Purslane Oil (2)
- 225234-03-7 (2)
- 135669-41-9 (2)
- Perilla Seed Oil (2)
- 68132-21-8 (2)
- Flax Seed Oil (2)
- 8001-26-1 (2)
- Soya Protein Powder (2)
- 50-81-7 (2)
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (2)
- Docosahexaenoic Acid (2)
- Soft Capsules (2)
- Microalgae oil (2)
- DHA (2)
- COVID-19 vaccines (2)