The global novel coronavirus (COVID‐19 or 2019‐CoV) issue has posed significant threats to international human health and the economy, human are fighting novel coronavirus together. Now it is still In the absence of treatment for this virus, there is an urgent need to find alternative methods to control the spread of disease. Omega‐3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and antiviral treatments should be useful in fighting novel coronavirus (COVID‐19).
Please see more : Novel Coronavirus
Coronaviruses (CoVs) belong to the subfamily Orthocoronavirinae in the family of Coronaviridae in the order Nidovirales, and this subfamily including α‐coronavirus, β‐coronavirus, γ‐coronavirus, and delta‐coronavirus.
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids help us fighting novel coronavirus
Long‐chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) are important mediators of inflammation and adaptive immune responses.Omega‐3 and omega‐6 PUFAs predominantly promote anti‐inflammatory and pro‐inflammatory effects. They are precursors of resolvins/protectins and prostaglandins/leukotrienes, respectively.
Scientists had studied plasma lipids levels in patients with AIDS and had found that a selective and specific lack of the long‐chain PUFAs of omega‐3 series of fatty acids. In addition, protectin D1, the omega‐3 PUFA‐derived lipid mediator, could markedly attenuate influenza virus replication via RNA export machinery. In addition, treatment of protectin D1 with peramivir could completely rescue mice from flu mortality.
Scientists had found that several PUFAs also had anti‐hepatitis C virus (HCV) activities. Therefore, Omega‐3 including protectin D1, which served as a novel antiviral drug, could be considered for one of the potential interventions of fighting novel coronavirus virus, COVID‐19.
These Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) are necessary for the following processes:
• Formation of healthy cell membranes
• Proper development and functioning of the brain and nervous system
• Proper thyroid and adrenal activity
• Hormone production
• Regulation of blood pressure, liver function, immune and inflammatory responses
• Regulation of blood clotting: Omega-6 FAs encourage blood clot formation, whereas Omega-3 oil reduces clotting. The ideal is to achieve a balance between omega-6 and omega-3 Fatty Acids
• Crucial for the transport and breakdown of cholesterol
• Support healthy skin and hair
Please see more about : Omega-3 fatty acids